Saturday, January 23, 2010

...More Top 5's

My physics homework is bugging and I need a break. Plus yesterday I had a lot of fun making that list, but I was a little disappointed that my favorite sport to watch, college basketball, didn't have a representative to make the cut. Therefore, I thought I should do another list of "Top 5 most memorable college basketball moments." And maybe while I am here, I'll do some other top 5 lists, probably until I get bored of this too and realize I need to get back to physics. I don't think I'll give the detailed explanations this time though; those took too long.

My Most Memorable College Basketball Moments (again, only those I saw live)

5. Arizona's Miles Simon three quarter shot at the buzzer - one of the first times I remember thinking, "Wow, college basketball is sweet!"
4. Hampton's coach being bear hugged and lifted up after their 15 over 2 upset over Iowa State - classic upset and the one I remember most (sorry Gonzaga, George Mason, and Davidson).
3. Mario Chalmer's buzzer beater - Even though I wanted Memphis, you just don't expect things like that to happen in the Championship game (just like the NBA finals, they're notorious for being anticlimactic compared to the rest of the tournament).
2. Tyus Edney's coast to coast lay-up in 5 seconds to save UCLA's title season - I really liked that UCLA team so it made me quite happy even though I was a little guy.
1. Illinois' 4 minute comeback - This wins because I really hated this Arizona team and wanted Illinois to take it this year. I was so surprised and ecstatic. The single game comeback ranks as the best in my memory, right there with Boston's 9th inning heroics in the '04 regular season and Reggie Miller's multiple sweet wrestling moves, stolen passes, and clutch shots in just 18 seconds against the Knicks in the playoffs.

More lists...

Favorite College Teams
5. 2000 LSU - the first bracket I ever filled out, I loved the name Stromile and took them all the way to the Championship I think. Thanks Swifty, for not even making it out of the first round.
4. The previously mentioned 2005 Illinois team.
3. 2008 Tennessee - With that many Smith's, an eccentric coach, and a cancer survivor, I had to love 'em.
2. 2002 Ducks - The best Luke-Luke duo ever!!!
1. 2003 Kansas Jayhawks - They were so close, but of course, couldn't pull it out in the big game.

Favorite College Players
5. Miles Simon - After that shot, I loved him, despite not really liking Lute or the AZ program.
4. Dan Dickau - the original shaggy haired Gonzaga star; the rest are just copy-cats.
3. Stromile Swift - I still wonder why he never turned out in the NBA. Probably drugs, and that's not a racist comment, it just had to have been something like that with his natural ability.
2. Luke Riddnour - The Steve Nash of the early 2000 college scene.
1. Jeff Boschee - What a shot and what a face? I'm not gay, but I'm just saying...

Let's move to the NBA...

I want to do some all-time lists but I always think it is stupid when you have a young 30 year old analyst ranking players he has only heard stories about, seen old videos of, or looked through his stats. I think you get a better feel as you experience their career with them. So my lists will be only judged off my lifetime (people I actually saw play). Although it should really be only 90's and 2000's players because I don't think my fist 4 years I really watched basketball, I still included Larry and Magic despite their fade outs by 91-92. They, for some reason, leave me with profound memories from when I was a "young buck" sports fan (so sorry Kareem and Isaiah for not really doing that to me).
We'll go by position first, and then to the top 10 overall of my era.

Centers
5. Dwight Howard - His shoulders are really the only reason I let him beat out Dikembe already.
4. Patrick Ewing - the best shooter on the list
3. David Robinson - His ring and 70 point game are the only edges he had on Mr. Chewing.
2. Hakeem Olajuwon - Still, he has the best post moves I've ever witnessed. In one move, he'd have more "fakes" than Michael Jackson and Paris Hilton combined.
1. Shaq - the most dominant I've seen.

Power Forwards
5. Dirk Nowitzki - Maybe the best European ever, but Arvydas might not like that statement.
4. Charles Barkley - Easily the best undersized 4 man to play the game.
3. Kevin Garnett - Anything is POSSIBLE!!!
2. Karl Malone - I don't really like him, but it's hard to argue his numbers.
1. Tim Duncan - Mr. Consistent can thank his 4 rings for beating out the others.

Small Forwards
5. Grant Hill - Too bad he got injured, but for about 3 or 4 years I thought he was a top 5 player in the league. He can also fight D-Rob and Stock for the classiest guy on any of my lists, but I think David might win that fight, even if John and Grant teamed up.
4. Dominique Wilkins - He was past the "human highlight" stage by the time I got to watch him but he was still good.
3. Lebron - Will probably be number one in just five more years but not yet.
2. Scottie Pippen - "Look, I'm Scottie Pippen", fifty cents to anyone who can tell me the reference.
1. Larry Legend - Recently I researched his career numbers; easily he takes the cake for best fair-skinned player all time.

Shooting Guards
5. Allen Iverson - the best pound for pound, inch for inch player ever
4. Dwayne Wade - My personal favorite and I've heard his finals performance was one of the greats,;I was on my mission at the time though.
3. Clyde the Glide - my first video game was Bulls vs. Blazers; Clyde was legit.
2. Kobe Bryant - The top 2 on this list were as clear as they get.
1. MJ

Point Guards
5. Chris Paul - He's already impressed me enough to get past Gary, Chauncey and Mark Price.
4. Steve Nash - another personal favorite
3. Jason Kidd - In spite of Steve having some better seasons, Jason has had a better career.
2. John Stockton - What could make a point guard any better than the career leader in assists and steals?
1. Magic - Well, I guess the answer is 6'9", multiple rings, and a career cut short by HIV.

Top 10 by the year 2018 (this makes it a 30 year era- 1988 to 2018)
10. Kevin Durrant - I had to make one bold prediction. If he gets a championship or two, and his numbers keep improving the way they have, then why not?
9. Dwayne Wade - I'll remember him as this good, I hope others will too.
8. Duncan - He'll make the list like he does everything else... quietly.
7. Hakeem The Dream - Again, what moves!!
6. The Shaqtus
5. Larry Bird - The only white guy on the list, although Dave Chapelle would probably trade Duncan over any day.
4. Kobe - Magic will beat him out because people other than Lakers fans will like him a little more than Bryant. If you look at when he reached his prime compared to other players around his draft years (which includes Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'neal who are both younger than Kobe), his durability is pretty incredible though.
3. Magic - If you ask Kornheiser, he may say number 1 though.
2. King James - Even though I don't like it, it's pretty inevitable, but I don't think he'll reach Mike.
1. MJ



***maybe I should do Physics now.

4 comments:

  1. I am done with sports. They hurt me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Favorite college players, hello Kyle Singler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as your last list, I doubt King will ever pass MJ. Not now, not ever. King may get more regular season MVP's, make more money, and frankly may have better stats. One thing King WILL NOT have is 6 rings and the ability to will his team to victory. I think King enjoys the limelight and the goofing off to much. He's also not surrounded with the support that Jordan had.

    ReplyDelete