Sunday, January 10, 2010

My First Blog

I had to start this blog for a writing class, but I am very excited about the new experience. I usually enjoy writing when the topic is something I am passionate about. I don't really care if no one ever reads this, but I believe that writing things down is a great way to truly understanding yourself, which is so important to accomplishing goals and becoming what you want to become. Also, its interesting to see where your true passions lie.

My passion is mostly found in religion, sports, and music; so I am thinking that is what most of my entries' subjects will be. I really love music, and not just stuff that sounds cool, but music that makes you think, feel what someone else is feeling, or understand better what you are feeling. I wanted to give my blog a title that came from lyrics of significance and so after thinking about it just briefly (I didn't want to spend too much time just coming up with a title), this song came to my mind, and I especially like this short phrase. It comes from a Brett Dennen song called "Heaven", which in my opinion is one of the best songs ever written, and Brett is one of the best artists out there. His emotion, talent, originality, and ability to express himself yet still connect with his listeners are incredible. If you're reading this, check him out!

Anyways the phrase "failure keeps us humble" is something I have thought about a lot in my life. I think all of us fail at many things; it is just a part of life, and I think it is for a reason. Just like if we never knew cold, we couldn't know hot; or like scripture teaches that without evil, there is no good; if we never failed in life, success would also mean nothing to us. An athlete that never lost a game wouldn't enjoy a championship like an athlete that spent the previous 10 years of his career on a losing team.

And luckily, the failure does keep us humble too. Humility has many aspects, but I think its most important aspect is recognizing a greater being involved in your life. As we fail at things (and ultimately one would fail at all things without help from the Savior), we realize we need help, and hopefully we realize we need the most help from up above. When we have failed and realize we need Him, when we succeed, it is easier to remember who the glory goes to (although we always seem to remember God more in failure than success). One of my favorite athletes right now is Colt McCoy. It broke my heart that he didn't play the other night, but I love how he always gives credit to the Lord, and you can actually tell he is sincere about it. For him to say God always has a plan and a reason after that freak injury and his inability to play in the biggest game of his life showed a lot of humility. I hope he has a great NFL career ahead of him!

Well, that was a good first blog I think. I could have talked a lot more about the subject of failure and humility, but I got other things to do now; yet I am pretty satisfied that I got to rant about all three of my passions all in one blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment