Monday, March 28, 2011

#60-51

60. Lifehouse – I don’t really know why I like Lifehouse so much. They aren’t really my style of music, they aren’t super talented, and they don’t really do anything that unique to separate them from other artists. I just seem to like a lot of their songs - enough to have them as high as 60.
Song: Take Me Away

59. Mumford & Sons – This band is really gaining a following now. After first hearing about them through some classmates and then noticing their growing popularity, I thought they were ok but wasn’t that impressed. And then I heard “After the Storm”. I fell in love with the song, it changed my opinion of them entirely, and I too jumped on the bandwagon.

58. Maroon 5 – If it wasn’t for Adam’s occasional immature and loose-moraled lyrics, this band would be even higher. I remember hearing their first album in high school and thinking, “If I ever started a rock band, this is the sound I want.” I still appreciate Levine’s voice and their blend of rock, funk, pop, etc.
Song: Must Get Out (Their best song is “She Will Be Loved”, but everyone knows that one.)

57. Matchbox Twenty – This, again, is one of the bands that take a spot in the list because of their history with me and music. There was a time when Matchbox was in my top ten. They have been slipping ever since though (at least 47 spots). Sorry Rob.
Song: 3 AM

56. Delta Spirit – This band is awesome! Thanks to one of my best music sources, Chaela, for introducing me to them. I love his voice and it matches the lyrics so well. If you like the style of Spoon or White Rabbits, you’ll love Delta Spirit. They’re even better!
Song: People, Turn Around

55. Cyndi Thomson – Her music alone would definitely not get her this high, but it’s more than just what you hear when picking your favorite artists. It’s why they do it, what they stand for, and sometimes how they look. I did think she was pretty when she first released “What I Really Meant to Say”. Then I really liked “I Always Liked that Best”. Then I learned she wrote her own songs. Finally, when I tried to find more music from her and realized she left the industry to focus on family, I was sold. She became and still is one of my favorite female artists. Recently, she released a comeback EP, and it too is pretty darn good!

54. Five for Fighting – Five for Fighting, along with Jack Johnson and Ben Harper, were the artists I seemed to listen to most the first six months after my mission. I think I just needed that calming, soft sound to work me back into secular music again.
Song: I like almost all their songs played on the radio, but check out “Policeman’s Christmas Party”. It’s different from their usual stuff, and you wouldn’t know it unless you had their albums.

53. The Wailin’ Jennys – Bluegrass-Folk music. Soft, acoustic sound. Gentle voices. Splendid harmonies. Creative songwriting. If you’re thinking that seems right up Mitch’s alley… yep, you’re right.
Song: One Voice

52. Sara Watkins & 51. Chris Thile (The Punch Brothers) – These are two of the three members of Nickel Creek, the greatest band ever (The Beatles. Pshh. Whatever.) You will hear plenty about Nickel Creek’s greatness later, but as solo artists these two barely fail to make the top 50. Sara is wonderful, and Thile is no doubt “Beethoven” of the mandolin and a creative genius. I love the punch brothers (Thile’s current ‘alternative bluegrass’ band) too, but I have to leave them out of the top 50. Although they’re still great alone, they’re best together and I wish they’d always stay that way.
Songs: Lord Can You Help Me & I’m Nowhere and You’re Everything

No comments:

Post a Comment